“Sharing what we know, exploring what we don’t”
Research and Planning Directorate (R&P Directorate), established in 1987 as 'The Research and Planning Division', has 18 Police personnel headed by theAdditional Inspector General. The Directorate conducts research on issues of institutional development and police service delivery and proposes plans based on the findings of the research. The Directorate also coordinates projects between Nepal Police and International Development agencies.
With strong commitment on quality and service delivery and institutional development, the R & P Directorate carries out the following functions
- Conduct research on issues of police service delivery, human resource development, police operation, administration and crime investigation.
- Assist Inspector General of Police in developing policies and programs, regular reporting on findings of research and studies.
- Prepare mid-term (3-5 years) and short-term (1 year) strategic plans.
- Prepare current, short term and long term comprehensive plans.
- Work with the team of experts for critical analysis of needy issues.
- Study, analyze and submit detail report of the programs and projects that are implemented by different units of Nepal Police.
- Help Nepal Police to establish conducive relation with general public and other security agencies.
- Prepare drafts of project paper, seminar paper and concept paper as per the requirement, organize seminar, discussions and program and submit outcomes to PCC for further policy development.
- Design specific program to address traffic management, community policing, gender friendly policing etc.
- Collect public opinions and suggestions via research, mainstream media and social Medias, analyze the information, plan for corrective action and recommend to the concerned unit.
- Maintain central database for research purpose.
- Explore possible areas of intervention for people with focus on policing with modern technology and resources.
- Coordinate with all international donor agencies involved directly or indirectly for strengthening Nepal Police. Research and Planning Directorate is the only authorized unit of Nepal Police to coordinate with all donor support for Nepal Police.
Research and Planning Satellite Units: The concept of establishing ‘Research and Planning Units' at departmental and regional level was proposed with the initiation of Research and Planning Directorate primarily to build a quick network to facilitate research and planning activities of Nepal Police across the country. At this time, 17 Research and Planning Sections have been established in departmental and regional levels. Now the Research and Planning sections exist in the Office of the IGP, Administration Department, Human Resource Development Department, Crime Investigation Department, Operation Department, National Police Academy, Police Hospital, Metropolitan Police Commissioner's Office, Central Investigation Bureau, Women and Children Service Directorate, Narcotic Drug Control Bureau (NDCB), Special Bureau and in five Regional Police Offices. The directorate is planning to expand the satellite units to zonal level in near future. These Sections carry following functions:
- Prepare office profile and update on monthly basis.
- Receive monthly action plans from the concerned offices, report to the office in-charge and dispatch to the R&P Directorate.
- Maintain organizational research database.
- Develop and timely update job descriptions and of police personnel deployed in their concerned AoR.
- Conduct research and studies on the relevant issues of police service delivery, police conduct and organizational mechanism and disseminate research findings.
- Regular reporting to the office in-charge about the findings and activities being carried out.
- Carry any other function as directed by the R&P Directorate.
1. Observation of 3 years strategic Plan (2070-72) : The 3 years action Plan (2070-72) of Nepal Police was launched in 2070/03/30 with the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs(MoHA). The Research and Planning directorate collects and analyses the progress reports regarding status of Implementation of the strategic plan by the responsible divisions within the police headquarters and also by police units. Moreover the Research and Planning directorate does monitoring, observation and evaluation of the implementation status of organizational priorities and work plan by IGP that commenced from 2070-10-29 onwards.
After completion of previous strategic plan new 5 years Action Plan for (073/074 to 077/078) is being prepared and Submitted to MoHA for approval.
2. Survey and Research conducted
a. Study on Current situation of Motor transport Division.
b. Survey on system of character verification certificate distribution.
c. Survey on Event management (Dasrath Stadium Security Arrangement)
d. Study on Current situation of Computer Directorate.
e. A study on Health Hazard of Traffic Police in Metropolitan Traffic Police.
f. A Survey on situation of Women and Children Service Center of Metropolitan police circle, Kalimati.
g. Study on Central Police Special Task force.
h. Research on Situation of Gender in Nepal Police.
i. Survey on Road accident mitigation.
j. Study on Current situation of Nepal Police Hospital.
k. Research on Career Development path and HRD of Nepal Police.
l. Research on Motivation of Junior police officers of Nepal police.
m. Impact assessment of Post Graduate Diploma in Police Science (PGDPS).
n. Satisfaction survey on Police Headquarters' Canteen.
o. Assessing present situation of central police forensic science laboratory (CPFSL) for its modernization.
p. Nepal Police Organization and Management (O & M) Survey.
q. Survey on Status of Police Personnel working in Nepal Police Club.
r. Formulation of Gender Policy of Nepal Police.
s .Research on current relation of Nepal Police and Public 2070.
t. Research on Public thought towards Police organization 2071.
u. Monitoring and evaluation of Police vehicles 2071.
3. Projects and Planning
a. On-going Projects:
i. Capacity Enhancement of NP to contribute the Peace process effectively: Research and Planning Directorate prepared a project paper on capacity enhancement of women police personnel in Nepal Police. It consisted construction of women barrack in regional training centers and provision of professional training to strengthen the capacity of Women in Nepal police. Research and Planning Directorate believes in equal opportunity to women in Nepal Police enhancing their capacity through physical facilities and trainings. The project has already been sanctioned by the ministry of Peace and reconstruction.
ii. Expansion of Fiber Optics Networking- This is an ongoing project supported by the US embassy. Up until now 86 police offices across the country have been linked to the network and an additional more districts are planned for further expansion.
iii. Modernization and Improvement of Policing Project (MIPP):-
This is an ongoing DFID founded project. The Project aims at strengthening the Nepal Police in different areas which include.
- Establishment of Modernized gender sensitive and disaster resilient Police units
- Strengthen operating and maintenance capacity for Police facilities.
- Strengthen performance system of NP in relation to M&E, budgeting and skill development.
- Community engagement for stronger or Police public partnership.
As the project is in its initial phase, assessments for setting up the activities and modality to carry out them to achieve above mentioned objectives.
4. Other On-going Activities
- Formulation of Nepal Police Career Development Plan.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of NPTF funded Projects.
- Regular co-ordination and meetings with donor agencies (UNDP, DFID, US Embassy and others) to identify the areas of co-operation with Nepal Police.
- Preparation of 5 years Action Plan (073/074 to 077/078) and Submitted to MoHA for approval.
The Research and Planning Directorate team
1. DIGP. Govinda Prasad Niraula
2. S.S.P. Deb Bahadur Bohara
3. S.P. Manoj Kumar K.C.
4. Insp. Bharat Shrestha
5. Insp. Manoj Kumar lama
6. Insp. Rabin Bista
7. S.I. Niranjan Pudasaini
8. S.I. Pradeep Bista
9. S.I. Raj Bandhu Thapa
10. A.S.I. Bikram Thapa
11. A.S.I. Indramani Adhikari
12. H.C. Dev Kumari Timsina
13. P.C. Bhawani Prasad Bhatta
14. P.C. Saroj Gaida
15. P.C. Manoj Chaudhary
16. P.C. Sunita BudaMagar
17. P.C. Nirmala Kharel
Postal Address: Research and Planning Directorate,
Nepal Police Headquarters, Naxal, Kathmandu,
Post Box no 407, Nepal
Phone no: 00977-014-420540/4214909